Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How To Make Someone's Day Un-Boring

Well, I spent much of October changing my name on records. Drivers license, Social Security, credit cards, utility companies, stockbroker, insurance company, and just all those stores you deal with online. Still haven't done them all yet (like Macy's - I almost never go there, and they want me to go in person...).

Well, this morning I realized there was one other place I forgot to change my name -- voter registration.

So, after one other unrelated errand, I realized that, and swung back by the house to get a copy of the court order, and headed off to the polling station with both my drivers licenses (old and new, yes, they let me keep my old one...) and the court order. Sure enough, I was on the rolls under my old name (we all wondered why DMV hadn't updated the list when I got my new DL, but well...). Anyway, they asked me to come back and talk to the marshall of the station, a nice young man, who got on the phone to his supervisors.

He was very polite, and referred to me as maam, and simply referred to my case as a "name change - first and middle name only" to his supervisor. They found my records, and I filled out a new registration form, so it should all be good next time, and I got to vote.

Hopefully, I helped break their boredom... ;-)

All is good. Just took longer than normal.

Happy voting day everyone. Although we're not expecting to have happy returns here in Virginia, at least in the govenor's race.

1 comment:

  1. From the way things look to me, either gubernatorial candidate you pick is going to be the lesser of two evils in many respects. Fortunately, here in Virginia the governor is only in office for one term and then gone. I think it is mostly a figurehead position, though he of course has some influence, he doesn't really have enough time in the governor's mansion to accomplish a lot.

    But, in the one or two areas where the governor's influence could affect my personal life I know who I will be voting for.

    ReplyDelete